Istanbul Transit Cards
The Istanbulkart is a form of electronic ticketing used instead of cash on the mass transit system in the Istanbul Greater Municipality. It can be used on buses, the metro, funiculars, tramways, and ferries. The cards are good for two years after purchase.
Standard Fare Transit Cards
The Discount Student Istanbulkart
To qualify for the discount Istanbul card, you must prove that you are a full-time student registered at a university. This can only be done by submitting a Student Certificate along with other documents to the İETT main office.
The Student Certificate is only available after the Add-Drop Period, following registration for the semester. This is usually three weeks after classes begin.
Individual Application for the Discount Student Istanbulkart
1. You will need to request your YÖKsis number from the Registrar's Office. Show them your Boğaziçi Student ID.
What is a YÖKsis number? After the Add-Drop Period, the University sends the list of all officially registered students to YÖK, the Council of Higher Education, the branch of the central government responsible for universities. YÖK assigns each student a unique number, called a YÖKsis number.
2. Collect the following: YÖKsis number Original passport One photograph 10TL
3. Go to the İETT Main Office in Karaköy. You may read on other websites that students may apply at other places in the city, but we recommend Karaköy because it is the main office.
4. The İETT official will look up your YÖKsis number on the IETT system, and accept the other documents and payment. 5. They issue the card.
Group Application for the Discount Student Istanbulkart
1. When you submit your online pre-registration data before you leave your home country, your information is automatically forwarded to the IETT and an application is made as part of a group submission.
2. The first week you arrive, you pay the 10TL payment. If you did not pre-register, then can sign up for the card once you have arrived and join the group application.
3. Once all of the students have paid their fee, the money is sent to the İETT.
4. The IETT send the cards to Boğaziçi University's Office of Student Affairs.
5. Student Affairs delivers the cards to the Office of International Relations.
6. The Office of International Relations immediately send out an e-mail to all of the students announcing that the cards have arrived.
7. You come to our office to pick up and sign for your card.
The Waiting Period
Once the application information of all the students has been submitted by the university to the İETT, how soon you will receive your card is up to the İETT. They will be processing applications and creating cards for students from all of the universities in the Istanbul Great Municipality (there are 39 in total) in the same period.
Until the cards arrive, you must purchase standard Istanbulkards and pay the full fare.
If your Travel Card is lost or stolen
To replace a lost or stolen card