Special Student Program / Freemover

Freemover or Special Students in general terms are non-degree students who apply to Boğaziçi University for a maximum of two semesters. They typically come from universities with which Boğaziçi does not have a partnership agreement. The term "Özel öğrenci" is used by universities in Turkey for students in this category. They may be citizens of Turkey or of other countries.

"Özel öğrenci" is translated into English as "Special Student," but a more accurate translation would be "student independent of the regular system." They pay tuition each semester, pay a deposit to the library before they can check out any materials, and must apply individually for the student discount Istanbulkart, the electronic ticketing card used for all mass transit in the city.

Please note: Questions about courses and programs should be directed to the individual departments and institutes.The Office of International Relations does not provide academic information. Please see their webpages for contact information. For information on what programs and courses are available, please see the  Undergraduate Course Catalogue. The Office of International Relations does not have information about programs and courses.



Freemover and Special Students pay full tuition for the academic term for which they register and may take as many courses as Boğaziçi University and their home institutions allow.The  Office of International Relations will issue an invoice letter upon student’s acceptance.

  • Turkish Citizens: $2500 per semester
  • Foreign Citizens $3000 per semester

*Please note: Boğaziçi University does not offer any scholarships or grants to Special Students.


Students with ‘Freemover/Special student' status may not transfer their grades or credits to Boğaziçi University as degree-seeking students.

How to Apply

To ask questions or make an appointment, write an email to Ms. Jana Stolarikova:  jana.stolarikova@boun.edu.tr

    Appointment required

    Due to changes in the security protocols of the University, international student candidates who wish to apply to our university need an appointment to visit the Office of International Relations. Before requesting an appointment, please read the information on our website.